Originating as a hardware and ironmongery business in 1880, 10-14 Paterson St is a commercial and retail building encompassing two levels. Before the redevelopment by ARTAS the street front was occupied by a cycle shop with the second floor space used as a store room.
ARTAS refurbished the shop front which now houses INSIDE café and home wares and acts as the main entrance for the business above. The entry design compliments the original building fabric through the introduction of clean lines which offsets the exposed brick. A lift was installed to service the business above where several new office spaces were created in the old store room each with restored timber floors, feature brick walls, and exposed rafter ceilings.
Far from the vision of a gloomy store room the office spaces are flooded with light from street and laneway windows and large southern facing skylights integrated in the existing sawtooth roof.